Speech Language Pathologist and Therapy

Me-And-JJWhat is Speech and Language Therapy?

Speech and Language Therapy encompasses many areas. It’s about language, the language that you speak, read, and write.

Many people don’t realize that “speech therapy” doesn’t just refer to how you pronounce words! Language ranges from vocabulary to reading comprehension to written language.

What is a Speech Language Pathologist?

A Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) works on developing a child’s or adults’ understanding and ability to express language. SLPs also assist those who stutter, have voice or eating/feeding disorders, have auditory processing (listening) difficulties, have various disorders (ADHD, Autism, Developmentally Delayed, Stroke Victims, Cancer Victims, Learning Disabilities, Articulation Disorders (Dyspraxia), Augmentative Communication (use of pictures or voice output systems to talk), and many other areas.

Grace and RoloSpeech Therapist/Speech Language Pathologist

A Speech Therapist/Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is a trained professional that is licensed by the state and certified by the American Speech and Language Association (ASHA). They will start with a comprehensive evaluation and will give you an idea of the next steps to take.

The American Speech and Language Association (www.asha.org) can give you guidance and names of Speech Therapist within your area. You can contact your primary care physician or pediatrician to get a name of someone that can help. Your medical insurance can give you names of Speech Therapist that are in the network that can help. Your child’s school can help.